Simon is a member of Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner’s Private Client Litigation team.
Simon focuses on trust litigation and wills and estates disputes, both onshore and offshore. He also advises on commercial disputes, including partnership and minority shareholder actions, tax litigation, IP and areas of marital law, such as pre-nuptial and post-nuptial agreements.
Simon’s practice also covers advising on corporate transactions, wealth planning and trust matters for his wide range of clients, which include individuals, trustees, beneficiaries, protectors, charities and corporate entities.
Simon is a member of STEP and a co-founder of ConTrA – the network for contentious trust associates.
Legal 500 2016 recently described Simon as a “very strong litigator” and he has been listed as one to watch in specialist trusts and private client lawyers in the world in Legal Week’s Private Client Global Elite 2017.
- Acting for the Claimants in the High Court regarding a partnership dispute relating to a multi-billion dollar trading business and a property portfolio worth in excess of £100 million. The claim relates to the interaction between foreign and English law and the characterisation of trust and nominee relationships.
- Advising a number of the beneficiaries in relation to several multi-million pound offshore trust structures in a contested Public Trustee v Cooper directions application where the Guernsey Court of Appeal earlier considered whether it had the power to make an order against a beneficiary of a trust to provide information to a trustee (R & RA Trusts 470/2014).
- Acting for the Earl of Cardigan in an action for the removal of the trustees of his estate (Brudenell-Bruce v Moore  EWHC 3679 (ch)) and in separate proceedings in the Court of Appeal contesting an application to sanction the sale of the estate's principal property (Cotton v Earl of Cardigan  EWCA Civ 1312).
- Acting for the Defendants in a restitution claim for the return of £50 million paid to an agent as a part of a contractual relationship with the principal.
- Advising the executors of an significant estate in relation to a multi-million pound dependency claim under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975.
- Acting on behalf of the Claimant in the High Court regarding pursuing monies owed under a deed of indemnity and a claim for breach of fiduciary duty relating a number of family trusts.
- Acting for the settlor and the enforcer of a purpose trust regarding a breach of trust by the trustees and previous enforcer, with aspects of the dispute in Jersey, Liechtenstein and Indonesia.
- Acting for the Defendants in The London Taxi Corporation Ltd v Frazer-Nash Research Ltd and Ecotive Ltd  EWHC 52 (Ch) in a Trade Mark infringement and passing off action relating to the design of a new zero-emissions London taxi.
- Acting for the Defendant in the High Court and the Court of Appeal in Slutsker v Haron Investments Ltd  EWCA Civ 430. The case gave significant guidance on the way in which the English Courts will attempt to recognise and give effect to ideas of joint matrimonial property regimes arising under civil law jurisdictions.
- Advising minority shareholders on a claim for unfair prejudice and a just and equitable winding up of a family owned property investment company.
- Acting for the Claimants in The Brain Disorders Research LP & anr v HMRC (First-tier Tribunal) in relation to a partnership scheme which sought to obtain research and development relief under the Capital Allowances Act 2001.