Merger creates new global law firm, ‘Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner’ LLP
Following a vote today by the Partnerships of both Bryan Cave LLP and Berwin Leighton Paisner (BLP) LLP the two firms have announced they will merge, officially launching in April 2018. The new firm will be called Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner with combined revenues of over US$900 million. The merger brings together two organisations widely recognised for their innovative approaches to client service, into one global, fully financially integrated law firm. Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner will provide clients with access to international practice and sector teams in 32 offices across 11 countries and a platform of approximately 1600 lawyers.
Clients of the combined firm will have access to broader and deeper legal services including: one of the most active global M&A practices*; the world’s 4th largest real estate practice**; an international financial services practice present in all of the world’s largest financial centres; and an international litigation and corporate risk practice. Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner will also have a range of other international industry sector and specialist offerings including: Cyber and Data Security; Energy Natural Resources; Food & Agritech; Hospitality; International Corporate Tax; Retail; Private Wealth; Sports and Entertainment; and Technology.
Both legacy firms have a strong track record in innovation. Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner will combine its legal operations, consultancy and technology resources globally to provide clients with access to market leading solutions including: ‘BCXponent’; ‘Practice Economics’ and ‘Streamline’.
The new combined firm will be led by Co-Chairs Therese Pritchard and Lisa Mayhew.
“Our combination is rooted in a shared determination to do something fresh and different for clients,” commented Lisa Mayhew, Managing Partner of BLP. “Clients will benefit from our combined legal expertise; our shared values and culture and our approach to innovation in their interests. Different to most other international firms, ours will be fully financially integrated from Day one. This will enable us to work in teams whose only focus will be to provide a first class service to clients.”
“This merger will result in an expanded presence and set of service offerings in key markets around the world and accelerate our utilisation of technology and innovation to redefine efficiency and value in the practice of law,” said Therese Pritchard, Chair of Bryan Cave. “Both firms have long traditions of building strong relationships – both with clients and within our firms. This legacy is reflected in shared values, including a core belief that our greatest asset is our people and our greatest responsibility is to our clients.”
Notes to Editors:
*BCLP will be among the top 10 for volume of US M&A activity (source: Thomson Reuters based on 2017 ranking)
**BCLP will rank 4th globally for Partners working on pure real estate matters (source: The Lawyer’s Global 200 Real Estate Report).
Cities in which the new firm would have a presence:
- US – Atlanta; Boulder; Charlotte; Chicago; Colorado Springs; Dallas; Denver; Irvine; Jefferson City; Kansas City; Los Angeles; Miami; New York; Phoenix; San Francisco; St Louis; Washington D.C.
- Europe – Berlin; Brussels; Frankfurt; Hamburg; London; Manchester; Paris
- CEE – Moscow
- Middle East – Abu Dhabi; Dubai; Tel Aviv
- Asia – Beijing; Hong Kong; Shanghai; Singapore
Combined firm capabilities:
- It will represent 191 (or 38% of the Fortune 500) as a combined entity
- It will represent 30 of the world’s top 50 banks (measured by revenue)
- It will advise 12 of the world’s largest sovereign wealth funds
- BLP and Bryan Cave (BCLP) lawyers are ranked 303 times in Chambers Global, Europe, Asia Pacific, High Net Worth and UK versions
- It will have 39 Tier 1 ranked lawyers in Chambers Global and UK.
- It will have 10 senior statesmen/eminent practitioners in Chambers Global and UK.
- It will offer clients expertise across 147 different specialisms.
Legacy firm recognition as innovative law-firms:
- BLP have been named Law Firm of the Year 8 times in since 2004
- Feb 2017: BLP named in the Client Intelligence Report as being the standout firm for adopting innovative client working Methods (source: Client Intelligence Report, Legal Business)
- 2015: BLP named as “Legal Game Changer of the Last Decade” by the Financial Times
- Sep 17: Bryan Cave and the University of Colorado Law School launch partnership offering law-tech focused internships (Source: The National Law Journal.)
- Feb 17: Bryan Cave launches TechX, a new incubator designed to grow Bryan Cave’s industry leading legal technology awareness, depth and expertise for competitive advantage
- Nov 16: Bryan Cave launches BCXponent, a new division focused on delivering practical solutions for law departments.