BLP named in Stonewall’s top 10 most LGBT* inclusive places to work
Berwin Leighton Paisner (BLP) has today been named one of the top 10 most LGBT* inclusive places to work in the UK in Stonewall’s Workplace Equality Index (WEI). The Stonewall Top 100 Employers are the best performing employers on Stonewall’s WEI 2017, an annual audit of workplace culture for LGBT* staff.
In just two years BLP has risen an impressive 218 places and is one of the biggest movers in this year’s rankings. BLP now stand at 8th in the entire index of all national workplaces, up from 102nd in 2016.
Cathryn Wright, Managing Director at Stonewall, commented: “This is a fantastic achievement by BLP. It is clear that BLP is very committed to LGBT inclusion. As an organisation, it has demonstrated this commitment through spearheading a multitude of initiatives and lots of hard work. BLP is undoubtedly one of the highest climbers across the entire Index. With 439 submissions for this year’s Index, one of the most competitive yet, its achievement is truly fantastic. Well done!”
This jump in the rankings and this current position is a real accolade for BLP and its push towards being a fully inclusive workplace.
Daisy Reeves, Partner and LGBT* Champion at BLP, said: “I am proud to have seen such fantastic progress in such a short space of time. The efforts of all our people, LGBT* or otherwise, have resulted in this great achievement – we have a truly inclusive workplace at BLP.”
Lisa Mayhew, Managing Partner at BLP, added: “It’s important for BLP and our clients that we have a workplace where people are valued and motivated to drive high-performance and innovation. It’s fantastic to see such recognition of our inclusivity programme which continues to go from strength to strength.”
Notes to Editors:
BLP’s Inclusivity strategy, launched in 2015, has five areas of focus; Culture, Family, Gender Representation, Lesbian Gay, Bisexual & Transgender and Social Inclusion & Ethnicity. It’s important to BLP that whatever we do, we do it well and so the list was selectively chosen. Each of the five areas have a task-group and at least one Partner Champion who meet regularly to discuss relevant issues and push things forward with a variety of events and initiatives.
LGBT* initiatives and achievements:
- Continued involvement in ‘DiversCity’ – having spearheaded this with Herbert Smith Freehills in 2011. DiversCity is a unique recruitment event aimed at raising awareness of pursuing a legal career in the City amongst LBGT* students at degree and postgraduate level.
- Through a collaboration between the LGBT* Group and the Family Group, BLP was the national sponsor of the ‘Alternative Parenting Show’ in 2015 and 2016.
- Established ‘AuthentiCity’, a first of its kind cross-sector event working in tandem with our clients to provide an opportunity to further strengthen business relationships, and to position BLP in the market as committed to diversity and inclusion, specifically ensuring LGBT* friendly workplaces.
- Held Pride celebrations, including flying the rainbow flag from the BLP London office and with similar celebrations in our Manchester office.
- Launched our LGBT* Allies Network.
- Marked multiple key LGBT* dates, such as IDaHoBiT.
- Hosted an internal event on gender transition.
- Collaborated to establish LB Women (www.LBWomen.org). BLP hosted the launch event in October 2016.
- Partner Daisy Reeves external recognition as an LGBT* business leader in: FT OUTStanding, Telegraph Top 50, Diva, European Diversity Awards, British LGBT* awards.