Partner, Head of Intellectual Property
"Simon Clark gives tailored commercial advice, with clear recommendations and no fence-sitting" Legal 500 2014
- Head of firm’s Intellectual Property Group, specialising in all aspects of intellectual property law, including copyright and design rights, patents, trade marks, passing off and breach of confidence.
- Solicitor Advocate with full Higher Rights in the Civil and Criminal Courts.
- Described by Legal 500 and World Trademark Review as “outstanding”, listed as one of the 45 Trade Mark Leaders in the UK by World Intellectual Property Review 2016 and ranked as a leading individual in intellectual property in Chambers UK 2016 and WTR 2016.
- Named as one of the Top 50 most influential people within the design industry by Design Week.
- Honorary Secretary of BLACA (the British Literary and Artistic Copyright Association (BLACA).
- Co-author of Intellectual Property, a text book published by Palgrave MacMillan currently in its sixth edition. Simon is also a contributor to the Trade Mark Handbook and sits on the Advisory Panel of Intellectual Property Magazine.
What are the most frequent issues clients are consulting you on currently?With the introduction of new cost budgeting rules and the need to ensure that litigation remains a commercially effective solution, we are increasingly agreeing alternative funding arrangements with clients. In particular, we have a specialised IP Enterprise Court team which can significantly reduce the cost and risks of litigation in appropriate cases. Design disputes have really taken off in the last 18 months. Cutting edge issues relating to online content and branding remain our busiest area, and it is now unusual for one of our IP cases not to involve an international dimension.