Consultant, Financial Regulation
“He's somebody you'd want on your side having a go at the regulators; you feel comfortable with him on your side." (Client quote - Chambers 2013)
- 36 years’ experience working in the UK and Hong Kong.
- Primarily focused on regulatory investigations which span across multiple jurisdictions including the UK, Hong Kong, Japan, Switzerland, France, Italy, India, Cyprus, Ireland and the United States.
- Specialising in contentious regulatory work helping clients understand their regulatory responsibilities; advising senior managers in authorised firms. Extensive experience of assisting clients with internal investigations, s.166 skilled person reviews and related reputational issues.
- Investigations range from: suspected LIBOR and foreign exchange manipulation, ‘rogue trader’ fraud, insider dealing, market abuse, information security, anti-money laundering procedures, structured retail products, Payment Protection Insurance, transaction reporting, client asset and client money rules, and mortgage lending and administration.
- Has also advised financial institutions on investigations involving a range of overseas regulators including the U.S. Department of Justice, CFTC, SEC, FBI, Japanese Financial Supervisory Agency, the Hong Kong Stock Exchange, the Securities and Exchange Board of India and the Autorité des marchés financiers in France.
- Clients include: FCA authorised firms and dual regulated firms, including retail banks and investment banks, building societies, asset managers, insurers, intermediary adviser networks, stockbrokers, mortgage lenders, commodity traders and hedge funds, as well as directors and senior managers of authorised firms.
- Recognised as 'Sole Star' in Individual Contentious Regulatory by Chambers 2010-2016.
- Short-listed for Chambers 2013 Top 100 Business Lawyers in the UK
- Recognised as a 'Senior Statesman’ for Financial Services: Contentious Regulatory, by Chambers 2018; as well as being consistently ranked in Legal 500.
- A member of the FCA’s Lawyers Consultative Group and the Advisory Board of the Financial Services Lawyers Association.
- Sidney is also a CEDR accredited mediator.
Contributing author to the Financial Regulation: Emerging Themes in 2018 publication – an extensive collection of articles on key topics including competition, individual accountability, financial crime, data protection, MiFID II and much more.